...according to Jaime...

I know everything--or nothing--depending on the day. I know that the world is full of beautiful colors, beautiful words, and beautiful things. I don't know what my part in it is. Well, I don't know...yet.

Monday, November 15, 2004

So, I've been thinking...

...a lot of times people tell me that I'm "smart" or "intelligent," and they seem to get almost offended when I tell them that I don't consider myself that way. I think I'm a person of about average intelligence. Sometimes people tell me that I'm smart based on the way I speak, but honestly that has nothing to do with how much knowledge I have--I'm a product of my environment; at home many people speak the way I do. I guess the reason I'm thinking about this is that I've always taken my ability to communicate my ideas somewhat effectively for granted. Voicing my thoughts, or writing them, is fairly easy for me. Now that isn't to say that I'm good at it, but I think that generally I can get my point across. My mother always tells me how lucky I am because of that since she herself (while being much more intelligent than me) has trouble putting her thoughts into words and "making it sound good."

I just think it's funny how the way you speak affects the way that people perceive you. Just because I talk a certain way doesn't mean I'm smart--I'm not great with science and I can barely do simple mathematics--yet many people tell me that they think I'm smart. I really don't get it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home