...according to Jaime...

I know everything--or nothing--depending on the day. I know that the world is full of beautiful colors, beautiful words, and beautiful things. I don't know what my part in it is. Well, I don't know...yet.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Love, Life, and Unemployment

It seems like it's been years since I updated, but truthfully it's only been a weeks. Hmm...where to begin, where to begin? I'll start with love...

What is it that Owen Wilson's character says in Wedding Crashers? "People go to weddings because they want to believe in true love." I'll buy that for a dollar. I'd also buy that people go to weddings because their Type-A, perfectionist sisters make them shell out hundreds of dollars on bridesmaid dresses. I went for a combination of both.

The whole wedding weekend was fabulous. Although my mother was passing her stress along to everyone she contacted (and believe me, she contacted me A LOT), most everyone got along rather well. My sister got a chance to really sit down and talk with Josh, and surprise of all surprises, likes him. No, really likes him. As in, would happily be a bridesmaid in my wedding if I told her I was going to marry him tomorrow. It goes without saying, of course, that he and I are not anywhere near marriage. That was just an example.

I have to admit, even within my nit-picky, always-look-for-the-bad-in-people self that my honey was very, very good to me that weekend. I was a raging ball of bitchy for at least two weeks prior to the wedding, and I've been a tornado of depression and bitchy for the two weeks since. He was wonderfully calm and really sweet. He brought me breakfast in bed at the hotel, made sure to take orders from every female that could possibly related to me (by lifting all the heavy stuff of course), and even danced with me at the wedding. And anyone that knows Josh knows that he doesn't dance. He didn't even get mad at me when I skipped his daughter's birthday party the next day. I just couldn't handle Chuck E. Cheese after the wedding, LOL.

So that brings me to life... Life is a work in progress. I'm finding it very depressing to basically sit around spinning my wheels all day. I would have thought being a kept woman was fun, but it's really, really dull. I've been reading a lot, though. Read a decent book called The Summer We Got Saved. It's about the intertwined lives of 4 Southern characters during the early Civil Rights movement--white ones. Well, 3 white characters and one black one. It's interesting in that the white characters aren't changed at all by the events that happened in the summer, yet somehow they're still so different. I should recommend it to Dr. Pitelka if she hasn't read it already.

Our writing center conference proposal was accepted. Thanks to Dr. Kavadlo, next October we'll be presenting on "The Obstacle Is the Path: Tutoring Across Content, Beyond Convenience, and Toward Enlightenment." It all sounds very interesting, but I have to write a piece of it. I'm not entirely convinced I'm smart enough, or that I have anything to say. I know that Dr. Kavadlo will likely read this, and to him I say: Although I'm not that confident, I'll give it my best shot. Hope you're having a nice summer.

And finally...unemployment. It sucks. Big time. I've been out looking for a job like it is my job and nothing seems forthcoming. I think I have personality. I think I have charisma. I know that I am capable. So what's the problem? I tell myself that two years from now it won't be like this--by then I'll have a degree--but I've been reading that in general the job market sucks. If worse comes to worse, I might really end up putting on some weight and working at Thick Sugars (hi, Chanda!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home