...according to Jaime...

I know everything--or nothing--depending on the day. I know that the world is full of beautiful colors, beautiful words, and beautiful things. I don't know what my part in it is. Well, I don't know...yet.

Thursday, October 21, 2004

Why do people give their children stupid names?

When my first niece was born 10 years ago, I became really interested in baby names. Her mother had bought a book, and of course ended up going with something stupid--Iry Nicole. Since then, I've been determined not to give any children I may or may not have an awful name. What's is the criteria for being "awful?" A name that is:

  • difficult to spell OR impossible to pronounce
  • "unique"...most people use "unique" as a synonym for UGLY and ODD
  • too popular to age well (can you imagine an 80 year-old named Tiffany or Kelly?)
  • doesn't mesh well with a middle name
  • too race specific, or not gender specific enough (example: LaQuanda or Bryan {on a girl})

As it stands, all my nieces have "awful" names:

Faticia Vadonn, Iry Nicole, Raina Sophia, Imonie Nadearie, Aja Lyna (like Lynnae) DaBreon, Manaysha Haley, Jayla Gladys (Gladys was my grandmother's name...I like this name, but Jayla won't age well), and Neimone.

Nephews are Steven Kenneth, Jr. and Roy Wesley, IV (not too bad, but not great). I've also got a Michaela Anne on the way...not thrilled, but it's liveable.

The reason I'm bringing this up is because the baby name site I look at has a message board and these people are horrible, horrible namers. What happened to classic names like Elizabeth, Catherine, Christine, Anne, Josephine, Amanda, Yvonne? If I ever do have kids...Lord help me not to fuck their names up...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home