...according to Jaime...

I know everything--or nothing--depending on the day. I know that the world is full of beautiful colors, beautiful words, and beautiful things. I don't know what my part in it is. Well, I don't know...yet.

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

I have yet to cross the line.

For as long as I can remember, I've only wanted to be an adult. When I turned ten I wanted to be thirteen, at thirteen I wanted to be sixteen and then eighteen. Why? Because at eighteen I would be a legal adult. I could stay up late, go where I pleased, cuss out anyone I felt like and generally do whatever the hell I wanted. Well, I am finally eighteen and I've realized something:

No matter what the law says, I'm not an adult.

Oh, I can buy cigarettes. I can be drafted (can you believe they want to draft girls now?). I can even vote. I have a credit card. I work. I pay bills. I'm in college. But I'm not quite an adult. I'm almost an adult. But not quite.

So what makes an adult? Obviously not all of the aforementioned things...but what? Is there a secret password? Some invaluable piece of knowledge? Will I wake up someday and just realize that I've become a mature, responsible adult? Probably. But hopefully when that day comes I will be able to look back at this Blog and see the process, because that is its intended purpose--to help me cross the line between adolescence and adulthood. Let the journey begin.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deadpool said...

Grasshopper,
It may take awhile, but eventually, you will cross into this territory you are in such a rush to reach. I say enjoy what you have now, for there is no turning back. I do look forward to seeing you safely through this journey as much as I can.

4:12 AM  
Blogger Jaime said...

I'm not really in a rush to be an adult (probably because I'm legally there and it isn't so great), it's just difficult to be in between.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home